Friday, April 10, 2009

The Return from Manchester and the AAH

The AAH conference was satisfactorily interesting, although as my session took up both days, I didn't feel as though I could roam around investigating papers on all sorts of topics as I normally do at conferences. The only time I ventured out of my own session was to hear a paper on Toyen's collaboration with Radovan Ivšić, which was quite interesting in its discussion of the relationship of image to text. Otherwise, I was ensconced in the surrealist and surrealist-legacy camp, where we had a fair amount of Toyen already. (But there can never be too much Toyen, or at least not unless she becomes a figure of adulation like Frida Kahlo, and it may be that Kahlo's astounding celebrity is passing, given how few of my students have heard of her.)
Manchester looks like a place worth visiting, especially given that I didn't really have time to look around the museums where the various receptions were held. The town hall, where we were welcomed by the Lord Mayor (who has bright green hair and exhorted us repeatedly to sample the local nightlife), is an impressive gothic-revival building with a fine set of murals by Ford Madox Brown. I was hoping to see his Work, given that I had just shown it in class, but that was elsewhere and I was too tired to hunt it down.
The Intro to Modern papers have been duly turned in (most of them) and I have begun grading them. Thus far they're excellent and I feel vastly pleased. No one has gotten less than an A. Of course, that will not hold true for the entire class, but it would be nice if only it could.

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Zaius said...

Hmm... This post seems to be mostly about all of the stuff that you didn't see. (I hope that my astounding celebrity isn't passing!)

April 11, 2009 12:02 PM  
Blogger Dirk van Nouhuys said...

My grandchildren have sucked me in the Facebook, where I have been playing a silly game where you answer a bunch of multiple-choice questions and are assigned a famous person or thing that is supposed to correspond to you. For example my famous philosopher is Locke, no surprise, I’m an enlightenment kind of guy. My nationality is French, no surprise either. But I was surprised at my famous painting, The Two Frida’s by Kahlo. I like Kahlo fine, but she’s not in my top 10 painters.

The most interesting result in the way was my Shakespeare character, which was Lear. The questions were mostly about popular culture. I think that somebody who knew his/her popular culture very well and his/her Shakespeare well could make a very ingenious quiz of this sort. Maybe this is one. The problem was that I know almost nothing about popular culture so most of my answers were random. “As flies are to wanton boys, so we are to the gods”.

April 19, 2009 6:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

November 01, 2009 4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home